- Deepa Rao (REU '11) won the Christopher Goetze prize this year for best senior thesis in the Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Science department at MIT. Her thesis, a continuation of her Harvard Forest summer project, was advised by her summer mentor, Laura Meredith. She and Laura are working on publishing their results; in the meantime, they'll present this research at AGU's annual meeting this fall.
- Megan Bartlett (REU '09) and her mentor Andrew Richardson have published a new paper, "Variation in foliar nitrogen and albedo in response to nitrogen fertilization and elevated CO2" in Oecologia.
- Aubrie James (REU '12) was recently highlighted by her home university's news office, and described her summer at Harvard Forest as "the best gig on the planet."
- Yvan Delgado de la Flor (REU '12) won the award for 'best poster in ecology' at the SACNAS national conference in Seattle, for his poster, "Do eastern hemlock forests provide habitat to a greater variety of spiders?"
- Courtney Maloney (REU '12) and Yvan (REU '12) have both received travel awards to attend the Emerging Researchers National Conference in Washington DC in February 2013. The conference helps undergraduate and graduate students to enhance their science communication skills and to better prepare for science careers in a global workforce.
Monday, October 1, 2012
Spotlight on Summer Students
Just a few of the many accomplishments by Harvard Forest summer students past and present:
Posted by Harvard Forest at 2:17 PM