Tuesday, October 6, 2009

What are you up to now?

Maggie Wagner
REU '09

Mentors: Dave Orwig, Audrey Barker-Plotkin
Project: Mortality, coarse woody debris, and nutrient cycling over 20 years in a virgin Tsuga canadensis forest in New Hampshire (abstract)

Hometown: Troy, MI
College and major: University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, Plant Biology, class of '09

What you miss most about the REU program:
The location-- I loved being in the forest with tons of opportunities for outdoor recreation. I also liked living with my friends and fellow students at Fisher House.

What you miss least about the REU program:
The fruit flies in Fisher House.

What about the REU program has stuck with you:
It was my first real taste of a professional research atmosphere. I feel much more prepared for grad school now, I know more about what to expect. I learned a lot this summer and met a lot of great people.

Have you stayed in touch with other REU students?:
Yes, several of them.

Whether your REU experience supported or changed your career plans:
My REU experience reinforced my plans to go into academic research.

What you're up to now:
I'm writing my honors thesis right now, to graduate in December. I am also applying to grad schools, which I hope to enter in Fall 2010. My research focus is on plant evolutionary genetics and ecology, especially in range boundaries and hybrid zones. I will probably get my MS before pursuing a PhD.

Want to see more alumni profiles? Check out our Harvard Forest REU alumni blog.

No comments: