Friday, September 11, 2009

What are you up to now?

Julia Ka'iulani Nelson

REU '03

Mentor: Kristina Stinson

Project: Effects of soil disturbance and mowing on demographic structure and seedling performance in garlic mustard (Allaria petiolata) populations

Hometown: Honolulu, Hawaii
College and major: Stanford University, Anthropological Sciences/Archaeology, class of 2004

What you miss most about the REU program:
Too many things! Mostly the wonderful people I met there, but also being out in the field. Harvard Forest is beautiful!

What you miss least about the REU program:
Absolutely nothing! I miss it all.

What about the REU program has stuck with you:
It strengthened my skills in scientific inquiry, also my commitment to environmental issues and forestry.

Have you stayed in touch with other REU students?:
Yes - I occasionally see people with the program and keep in touch via email.

Whether your REU experience supported or changed your career plans:
Completely supported them; provided scientific depth to my experience; I went back to take an ecology course at school and that scientific background helps in my current work.

What you're up to now:
I currently co-manage the mining practice at Business for Social Responsibility, a global nonprofit business association that works with companies to improve their social and environmental practices. I spend quite a bit of time working with companies on climate change, community development, and community consultation. I've co-facilitated a major international initiative to improve labor and environmental conditions in the electronics supply chain, and worked on the ground for mining, oil & gas companies around the world. Next I'm interested in exploring conflict resolution around natural resources.

Want to see more alumni profiles? Check out our Harvard Forest REU alumni blog.

No comments: